Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Here We Go Again...

And it comes to this.

38 years ago I saw a film that altered the way I viewed the world.  Star Wars unlocked another level of my being.  It was the first bit of external stimulus that really captured my imagination and showed four year old me that anything was possible...as long as you were a dreamer.

Star Wars was my first friend, first love and first obsession.  I would draw pictures of space battles, re-enact scenes from the movie at my nursery school, and regale my bewildered grandparents with tales of Luke and Darth Vader.  I collected the toys, comics and trading cards with an unparalleled fervor.  Even through high school and college, when no new movies were being made, I kept the fires stoked with novels, comic books and assorted collectibles. At a time when being a fanboy or nerd wasn't as cool or as easy to be as it is today, I waded through the judgments of friends and the chuckles of family as I kept the love of the series alive.  Star Wars even made it into my wedding vows, as I promised my bride to be that she would never take a back seat to Star Wars and that my collection would never take up more than one room of any house we live in.

Star Wars has been a huge part of my life for so long.  Now it continues with the release of The Force Awakens.  I'm happy to see it continue and I would be a fool to not mark the occasion here.

And btw...I'm calling my shot.  I'm guessing that Kylo Ren and Rey are brother and sister and their parents are Han and Leia.

We'll see.

No comments: